A home inventory is a complete detailed list of everything that is in your home. (personal belongings)
A positive aspect about creating a home inventory list NOW (without a claim) is that you will be able to apply for additional coverage or endorsements for high value items that may be under insured OR not insured in your current homeowner’s insurance policy. This includes items such as jewelry, collectibles, and art. Consult your insurance agent to understand the need for adequate coverage of these items in your policy.
Every single item other than your vehicles, pets, needs to be added to the list. These are a few tips to remember while creating your home inventory list:
- Every item of value in your home needs to be added to the list with serial numbers mentioned where applicable.
- Keep updating your list as you add items of value to your home and take the items off the list that you sell, donate, or give away.
- Include any receipts for the items.
- It is a wise idea to take photographs and or video of the high value items and include family members in the color snapshots since this will prove ownership is beyond a reasonable doubt and perhaps add a reference point to the size of the piece.
- Keep the home inventory list in a safe place. (such as a fire safe or safe deposit box, etc)
Contact our agency, if you need a home inventory list. We are here to help.