Water Damage Emergency Tips
Emergency Damage Control Tips: Water
What NOT to Do:
- Do not enter a room with standing water until electricity has been turned off.
- Do not use a regular household vacuum to remove water.
- Do not lift tacked-down carpet without professional help.
- Do not use electrical appliances while on web carpet or flooring.
- Do not disturb visible mold.
What to Do:
- Take detailed photos and keep receipts for all of your costs during the recovery process.
- Damage from water and bacteria growth can begin within hours. If approved, call a professional.
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Remove wet area rugs or other floor coverings not permanently attached. Do not attempt to start removing your wall-to-wall carpet.
- Lift draperies off the floor, loop through a coat hanger, and place the hanger on the drapery rod.
- Wipe furniture, prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying, and place aluminum foil under furniture legs.
- Move photos, paintings, and art objects to a safe, dry location.
- Do not remove books from shelves. Rather pack them tightly to prevent warping of pages until a restoration professional can begin this specialized drying.
If you need to report a claim please contact your Company or Agents Office for assistance. Good Luck and remember to always check hot water heaters, toilets, sinks and any other water sources at least twice a year for any leakage. Sudden and Accidental is the key to get your covered for water damage. So please maintain a check of your property. We Simply Care!
Note: Flood Insurance is a policy, you may need in case of flood waters. Let’s talk… Call us today. Arab, Alabama (256) 586-2442 Cullman, Alabama (256) 747-5432